Listening Blog 2 (I Got Rhythm)

 While listening to the entire song, the beginning starts a little gloom, but in contrast, the song completely changes tone, speed, and mood about half way through. I think this shift in tone symbolizes the idea of people not knowing what they want at first, but when they figure it out, it makes them excited and ready for the world. The contrasting tones also emphasize that Ethel Merman, the singer, supposedly has everything that she needs in this life. 

In the intro, the brass sectional is played before the slow lyrics are played, and I believe this was done so people would recognize the song when it starts. The repeated brass part is the most catchy part of the song; therefore, to get people to remember and find the song with ease, the "hook" of the song introduces the song so people know this is I Got Rhythm.

The amount of times she repeats the line "who could ask for anything more" can be taken as counter intuitive to some peoples goals. The people who stay successful in life consistently learn for their entire life, and learning comes from asking questions. Yes in this song from the point of view from the singer, she has everything she wants with rhythm, but honestly, I doubt the singer has everything she wants. This song wasn't written by Merman; it was written by George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin. 

Comments

  1. I really like your analysis of the changing tone and its relation to a real-life standpoint of people's desires along with Ethel Merman's personal relation to the lyrics. I love when songs have a good, catchy brass line and it makes for an amazing hook. I wish more songs of today's music had more range in the instruments they use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved what you wrote about this song! This song truly is one of my favorites. It is so intricate and complex just like you said, the tone seems to shift and to be very symbolic and important. I agree with you that the repeated brass part is for sure one of the catchiest parts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I initially listened to this song, I also thought that the slow section near the beginning was gloomy, but after listening to it more I felt that it was more reflective than anything. It's really neat how we can interpret music differently and even arrive at different conclusions after repeat listens.

    I like how you discussed the instrumental hook at the beginning of this song. I hadn't considered that it was meant to get the song stuck in the listener's head, and I think your interpretation makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with everything you said about the song. I like how you described the song and the feelings you felt throughout the song. I think that its good that you have certain emotions towards the different parts of the song. I also liked how you described each part of the song, and not only the emotions but the actual soundness of it. nice post bro, good job

    ReplyDelete
  5. To begin with, I got Rythm is a beautiful song to listen to. I agree with what you have mentioned above. Truly, when listening to this song I notice there are a number of tones change. In addition, the speed also alternates. I also listened to this song a couple of time, and I was excited.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening Blog 9 (Stairway to Heaven)

Listening Blog 12 (Thrift Shopping)